Thursday, February 18, 2010

What Are the Odds


This is just too crazy not to share. On Sunday evening, Jim and I were heading back home after an afternoon out running errands. We were on Walnut Street around dusk, and this small white and brown spotted dog with a long skinny tail like Otto was running on the side of the road. My heart immediately dropped. There was no way this dog was going to make it across that street alive, it's just too busy. We couldn't stop, and I thought all night about that dog. If that dog got hit, I would just die. I felt so helpless, and all I wanted to do was help. The next morning, Oliver stayed home from school, so while he was playing in the den I went to the bedroom to let the dogs out the side door. And I kid you not, that same dog I saw the night before was now trotting down my street. I freaked out and started calling, "puppy, puppy, here puppy." She looked so skinny and scared. Calling her only made her run faster. Then Rufus started barking and she stopped. If I had been there alone I would have jumped in the car and gone after her, but I couldn't with Oliver home sick. I watched her run down the street and again felt so helpless. Then, fast forwarding to tonight. I'm still thinking about that dog. I decided to google missing dogs in the area in the chance I could find the owner and give them some information on where I saw her. I ended up on craigslist, and 2 clicks later- I found her!! Her owner lives on Walnut Street, and she got loose on February 5. I saw her on February 15. ugh, I had to call. (So I did) And, this nice lady answered the call. She seemed very grateful for the information I gave her. She said they had rescued her in January, and she was very skinny. They couldn't keep her, so they found a home for her to a lady who lives on Walnut Street, and the day after they gave her away the lady called to tell them the dog pulled the collar over her head and took off. Evidently this dog is used to being wild, but it breaks my heart to think of how cold, hungry and scared that beautiful dog is. I sure hope she's safe and is in the hands of someone good in this world. Here's a picture the family posted of her on craigslist. Have you seen her?

No comments:

Post a Comment