Sunday, August 15, 2010

Food For Thought

Today while shopping for groceries I found myself staring at the boxes of cherry tomatoes.. Usually it only takes a quick glance to find the ones that say organic and I'm on my way, but today when I picked up the organic plastic box I noticed it said in tiny letters, "product of Mexico."  Hmm, this caught my attention.  I don't have  issues with Mexico, but I am pretty sure the USA is more than capable of producing an organic tomato.  As I looked around I noticed the other boxes of cherry tomatoes were products of the USA, but none were organic.  Super lame.. So this left me with a choice- buy tomatoes from my own country with tons of chemicals in them, or grab the organic mexican tomatoes that probably traveled who knows how many miles to get to the store.  After at least 5 minutes debating which tomatoes to get, I ended up going with the American ones.   No, I don't like ingesting chemicals.. but I do like helping our country's farmers make a buck and not supporting the unnecessary gas spent on trucking produce from one country to another.  Yes, I know.. it doesn't get any more random than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment